- All students participating in recitals/shows and Amar troupe members are expected to purchase and wear costuming. The specifics will be decided by Nicola with some input, based on the type of dance being learned, and the budget decided with students.
- Generally, these items are worn again in subsequent shows, and we typically sew or order separates so they can be re-combined.
- Nicola and some students may lend or rent extra costuming in certain circumstances.
- Please don’t wear costuming to class unless it has been requested (hip scarves, in good repair, are always welcome).
- All students need one, either home-made or retail-bought. Expect to pay $20 or more.
- It is recommended that you don’t buy or make a veil that is decorated, unless a decorated veil has been suggested in class.
- Nicola recommends 1 silk veil in any colour, rectangular in shape. Silks may be purchased from: Silk Bamboo, Ak’ai, Shibori Borealis, Fairy Cove, Dahlal Internationale, or Turquoise International (see LINKS). Or from Nicola in class, in some sessions.
- Nicola will hem yours for a $10 fee (you supply the fabric), and sells high-quality, ready-made fancy chiffon and silk veils at an affordable rate.
- You may also pre-order and pre-pay for veils at wholesale rates, at the 2 class orders (late fall and late winter).
- For students 5’7″ and under, you need 2.5 metres of bridal or other soft, light-weight chiffon. For taller students, your veil should be 2.8-3 m long. Petite students may want a veil 2.3-2.5 m–BUT SHOULD BE FITTED IN CLASS FIRST.
- Sarongs and Indian sari veils are not suitable for adult bellydance veils.
FINGER CYMBALS (zills, sagats)
- ALL continuing students must have one set of Saroyan or Turquoise brand zills (any style).
- Nicola places a fall order for zills and students must pre-pay to get zills at-cost. Other sets may be available at retail prices. Saramaga Middle Eastern Dance carries Saroyan and Au Set carries Turquoise. You can order directly from the cymbal manufacturers for about the same price.
- Buy a set for the sound, rather than the look of the zills–Saroyan’s website has sound clips.
- PLEASE, don’t buy so-called “student” or “starter” zills — they tend to be poor in tone and quality, will dent, lose their clarity, and may be high in lead content.
- Do not buy zills that have holes instead of slots –you want slots that use flat elastics.
- Beware of any zills sold for less than $15 dollars.
- All intermediate (Level 2+) dancers and Amar members need to buy one gold or silver plastic dance cane with a crook. A limited number of canes will be available for purchase. Canes may be ordered in either fall or late winter at the class order times, and must be prepaid to get the at-cost price of $15-20.
- The cane should reach somewhere between the centre of the hip joint and top of the pelvic bones.
- Nicola will repair/retape your cane for $10. Horus and Isis Company carries good canes at a very reasonable price.
- one exercise band or old pair of stockings
- yoga mat or beach towel
- dance “footies” or slippers—if you need more cushioning
- hip scarf or shawl
All students participating in spring recital are expected to wear costuming. The specifics will be decided based on the type of dance being learned. Generally, these items are worn again in subsequent years and we typically sew or order separates so they can be re-combined. Nicola and some students will lend or rent extra costuming.
Please do not wear costuming to class unless it has been requested (hip scarves always welcome).